How to Turn Off Touch Screen on Windows Devices?March 14, 2021
Wants to know how to turn off touch screen on windows devices? Touch screen displays have critical functionality and profits to provide a more streamlined and convenient workflow. With more support for mobility and collaboration than traditional displays, a touch screen can significantly impact how you use your laptop or display. It can also give a deeper connection to your work and entertainment.
There are situations where it gives more sense to turn it off. Whether it’s out of attention or between periods of heavier use, shutting down your touch screen can effectively restrict its access. This can be particularly helpful when you travel or when there are people around who may damage the screen through improper use, like kids or customers.
Most touch screens don’t have external steps to shut them off, but it’s quite simple to do this through Windows 10. In this article, we’ll outline the two most comfortable and most common methods for toggling your touch screen’s functionality.
Why Disable or Turn Off Touch Screen in Windows 10 System?
While there are certain advantages of a touch-enabled display, there are times when you would like to turn off the touch screen in Windows 10. Some scenarios include the following:
- You have damaged the laptop LCD, and the touch screen is interfering with your work.
- You require to boost the battery life of your system.
- It’s a good idea to disable the touch screen in Windows 10 while presenting something and may end up messing up your presentation by touching on the wrong slide.
- The computer is having ghost touch or phantom touch problems.
A ghost touch or phantom touch is when the touch screen reacts as if an invisible finger or stylus has touched it. This can be made by a hardware issue or even a dirty screen.
How to Turn Off Touch Screen in Windows 10 or Windows 8
Touchscreens can be disabled in Windows 10 through the Device Manager, which you can enter through the Control Panel or directly from the search box on your taskbar.
The device manager is where Windows 10 keeps track of all your devices, and it’s also where you can disable or enable any device connected to your computer.
The following instructions run for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 in addition to Windows 10. To disable the touchscreen in Windows 7, utilize the Pen and Touch menu in the Control Panel.
Here’s how you can disable a touchscreen in Windows 10 system:
- Select the search box on your taskbar.
- Type Device Manager in the search box.
- Choose Device Manager in the list of search results.
- Select the arrow next to Human Interface Devices.
- Select HID-compliant touch screen.
- Select Action at the top of the window.
- Choose Disable Device in the drop-down menu that opens.
- If you see a pop-up warning that tells disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you want to disable it? Select Yes.
- Verify that your touchscreen is disabled.
To turn the touchscreen back on, follow the corresponding steps as above and choose to enable in the Action drop-down menu in the Device Manager window.
How to Turn Off Touch Screen in Windows 7
It is disabling a touchscreen in Windows 7 works differently from newer versions of Windows. Instead of disabling the Device Manager’s touchscreen, you disable a particular option in the Pen and Touch menu. This menu can be obtained from the Control Panel.
Here’s how to disable a touchscreen in Windows 7 system:
- From the Windows desktop, click the Start button.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Pen and Touch.
- Select the Touch tab.
- Uncheck the box next to Apply your finger as an input device.
- Verify that your touchscreen is disabled.
Calibrate the Touch Screen
If the touch screen is working but not correctly, you can try calibrating it to see if that helps fix the issue. Follow these actions to calibrate the touch screen on your laptop.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Find and click the Tablet PC Settings option. If utilizing the Category view in the Control Panel, it is found under Hardware and Sound.
- In the Tablet PC Settings window, on the Display tab, and below the Display Options section, hit the Calibrate button.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen. You will be directed to tap the crosshair icon on the screen each time it is displayed in various locations.
Several Reasons to turn off a Touchscreen on Windows 10
Touchscreen inputs are the most valuable on tablets and 2-in-1 devices. If you see that the touchscreen on your traditional laptop is more of a headache than anything else, disabling it is easy.
Other aims to disable a touchscreen include children who can’t stop reaching for the screen when you’re trying to watch a video or get some work done. In some states, screens malfunction and behave as if you’re touching them when you aren’t.
The method for disabling a touchscreen in Windows 10 works the same way on all types of devices, including laptops, desktops, tablets, 2-in-1 devices, and computers from specific manufacturers, such as touchscreen HP laptops and touchscreen Dell laptops.