How to Change Your Twitter Handle (Username)October 29, 2020
Are you exploring to check guide on how to change your twitter handle? There are times once you might need to vary your username, the name or photo on your profile, or any aspect of your bio. You’ll do that easily by following the steps below.
A standard change is your username. When initially choosing your username, it’s going to be that your exact name has already been taken. People then choose an abbreviated name, add numbers or characters to their name, or prefer something more random. While this provides you with a singular username, you should question how easy it’s for people to seek out and remember your required username.
Another reason could be that the name of your team or organization has changed. Instead of creating a new account and risk losing your followers, change your username (and other details on your profile).
Changing your username won’t affect your existing followers, Direct Messages, or replies. Your followers will see a replacement username next to your profile photo once you update. It supports alert your followers during a tweet before you change your username so that they can direct replies or Direct Messages to your new username.
Should you Change your Twitter Handle?
Many sources state that you should think twice before changing your Twitter handle. Very similar to you’d if you were considering making changes in other areas of your business.
The critical risks related to changing your Twitter handle are:
- You risk communicating with you via your old handle if they do not realize you’ve got updated yours. And thus, you risk their messages not reaching you.
- You risk someone taking up your old Twitter handle and potentially impersonating you/your brand.
However, there could also be some situations where you feel it’s necessary to vary your Twitter handle and benefit.
- If your Twitter handle is no longer appropriate – you’ll have set your account up before starting your own business, for instance, and now want something more professional.
- If your Twitter handle is no longer an honest representation of your brand – e.g., you’ve got a replacement business name or have had a brand refresh.
- Your Twitter handle isn’t according to those used on your other social profiles.
- The purpose of your Twitter account has changed – for instance, the business needs that your Twitter account fulfils may have changed.
How to Choose a Good Twitter Handle
Remember that your Twitter handle is going to be wont to represent your brand. This is often what people will use to @mention you, reply to you, and Direct Message you. It’s evident to people and your followers, so you would like to urge it right.
With numerous Twitter users, the handle (username) you’d wish to choose could also be already taken. So, you’ll get to be flexible and have several options that you’re proud of.
Ideally, you would like your Twitter to handle to be according to those used across your other digital properties like other social media sites, your blog, and, therefore, the website. And in fact, it should represent your business’s name as closely as possible. It should even be as memorable for people, which probably means keeping it short (lengthy usernames aren’t an option with Twitter character lengths anyway!). It’s best to avoid using underscores and numbers as these can add complexity and make it harder for people to seek out you.
If you discover that one among your preferred usernames is out there, confirm you’re taking it and reserve it. If you modify your mind at a later date, you’ll always delete the account. If you don’t act quickly enough, you’ll be disappointed once you come at a later date to seek out your required username has been taken.
How to Change Your Twitter Handle through a Web Browser
Changing your Twitter username employing a browser on PC, Mac, Linux, or Chrome may be a simple process, but the choice may be a little buried. First, log in to Twitter.com using any browser. Within the sidebar on the Twitter website, hit the ellipses button (three dots) to show more options. Within the menu that pops up, select Settings and Privacy.
In Settings, click Account, then click Username. On the Change username page, click the Username text area and sort the new username you’d wish to use. While you’re typing, Twitter will notify you if the username is already taken. Keep trying until you discover one that’s unique. Then click Save.
Your new username is now set. The change should occur immediately, but if you don’t see it directly, see the section at rock bottom of this text for advice.
How to Change Your Twitter Handle on iOS and Android?
- Enter the Twitter app on your Android or iOS smartphone.
- Tap on your profile picture situated within the top left corner.
- A menu will appear. Select the Settings and Privacy option within the list.
- Click on the Account option, which appears first among the varied options listed.
- Select the Username option.
- Now, enter the username of your choice, and if it’s available to be used, the name will turn green, and you’ll be ready to set it.
- Additionally, Twitter provides you with a reputation suggestion. So, you’ll choose between the recommendations also.
You can change your Twitter handle name via Twitter for them online too. Just head to Twitter.com>log in together with your credentials>tap on the More option>select Settings and Privacy option>tap on the Username option under the Account option>enter the new name, and if it is not taken, you’ll catch on.