How to Change Default Google Account in 2021September 20, 2020
Are you exploring to know how to change the default google account? When using specific Google applications within your web browsers, such as Docs or even Gmail, you will need to sign in to an account. However, sometimes the account you need to use won’t be set as the default for new tabs and apps. In this article, we will go through a few ways you can switch your default Google account.
There are several benefits of having the correct default Google account; for example, when you open any new applications, they will go directly to the store you want. This means programs that use the default, like Google Calendar, will follow links correctly and put details in the right place. This prevents situations where work events go into your diary, for instance.
How to Change Default Google Account
The trick to setting the default Google account in Chrome is assuming how the default account is selected in the first place. There isn’t some setting buried in your Google account that lets you choose this. Rather, Google uses the initial account you used to log in as the “default” Google account.
This is how Google explains the “default account” on their support page.
In many instances, your default account is the one you signed in with first. Your default account can vary depending on your device’s operating system and the apps you use on mobile devices.
The first step to fixing this is signing out of whatever account you’re currently using in Chrome.
- Go to Google.com and select the profile image on the upper right of the Google search page.
- Choose Sign out to sign out of that Google account.
- Now that you aren’t logged into any Google accounts, you can sign in to your first account. This will be the default Google Account. Choose Sign in at the upper right of the Google search page to do this.
- Now, you’ll want to choose or add your default Google account. If you’ve never logged into it before, you’ll need to select Use another tab. Otherwise, set the account.
- Once you log in, you’ll see the default profile picture displayed for that new account.
This account is now your default Google account for all Google assistance you use like Gmail or Google Calendar.
Using Multiple Google Accounts
If you wanted to, you could sign into a secondary account by choosing the profile image again and selecting that other account. Once you sign into the second Google account, the original account you signed into lives the default. You can see this if they select the profile picture again.
You’ll see that you’re signed in to the second Google account, but the first account you logged into displays “Default” to the right. This means that you’re signed in to the second Google account for the current Google app you’re using (in this case, Google Search).
But if you open a new tab and visit another Google service like Gmail or Google Calendar, you’ll see that it still utilizes the default Google account. This is useful when most of the Google services you use are under one Google account, and you rarely use the other account except for a few benefits. You can modify Google accounts like this on Android or iOS devices as well.
Using Google Chrome to Manage Multiple Accounts
It’s far more common that people use different Google accounts for other purposes. And they require to use all of their Google services on their account. Using Google’s “default user” approach in the previous part can become a hassle. Instead, it’s better to make use of Google Chrome’s multiple profile features.
To get started using this, open your browser and select the menu bar’s profile image at the top of the Google Chrome window. Here, you’ll have various options;
- You can choose Sign in again to log back into the account you used when you last had Chrome open. If you close Chrome while signed in, the next time you open it, it’ll automatically sign into that account.
- Picked Guest to use Google Chrome without any account at all. This is useful when you don’t want bookmarks, search history, or browser history logged with your Google accounts.
- Choose to add a new Google account to your Chrome browser. When you do this, you can assign the account a unique profile image so that you’ll recognize it.
- If you choose one of the existing accounts, it’ll open an entirely new Chrome browser window signed into that other Google account.
It’s also simple to remove any of these accounts from your Google Chrome browser as well.
Not only is changing the default Gmail account on your devices easy and straightforward, but you can set different default Gmail accounts across your devices. Still, even though you might know precisely how to do it on one device type, this does not mean that you know how to do it on others. Share your valuable thoughts and suggestions in the comment box section below.